Grilled Bratwurst with Home Plate Pickled Relish Print this recipe
Cook time: 1 1/4 hours Prep time: 4 1/2 hours
- 1 medium head cabbage, shredded
- 1 tablespoon celery seed
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- 2 green tomatoes, diced (can substitute tomatillos found in Mexican grocery stores and most produce
- 2 onions, diced
- 2½ cups sugar
- 3 cups vinegar
- 4 green bell peppers, diced
- ½ cup salt
- 2 cans cola (24 ounces)
- 8 hotdog buns
- 8 uncooked bratwurst sausages
- In a large container combine chow-chow ingredients, cabbage, peppers, onions and tomatoes (raw vegetables should equal 2½ to 3 quarts). Mix vegetables with ½ cup of salt, cover them, and let them stand for 4-12 hours. Drain well.
- Combine vinegar, sugar, celery seed and turmeric in a large pot and bring to a boil. Add drained vegetables and simmer for 1 hour stirring occasionally. Chow-chow can be served as a hot or cold topping. For canning, spoon into sterilized pint canning jars and seal. (Makes 3 pints.)
- Pour cola into small pot. Add sausages to the pot. Bring to a boil. As soon as the cola turns clear remove the sausages from the liquid (about 4-5 minutes).
- Preheat charcoal grill to 400°F. Place bratwursts on hot grate over direct heat for 2 minute on each side. Remove bratwurst from grill and place on hotdog bun. Top with a generous helping of chow-chow.
- Chris Lilly