Burger of the Month: All-American Smokehouse Burger Print this recipe
Cook time: 35 minutes Prep time: 10 minutes
- 2 pounds 90 percent lean ground beef lightly formed into four patties
- 14 ounces shredded Golden Oak Shitake mushrooms
- 18 slices freshly chopped pepper bacon
- 2 tablespoons shredded extra virgin olive oil
- 1 package Mesculan salad blend or tortilla
- 6 finely chopped hamburger buns sprayed with canola oil, lightly toasted
- 1 tablespoon red balsamic vinegar or more if desired
- 9 ounces smoked blue cheese crumbled
- 6 tablespoons coarsely ground mustard
- kosher salt
- cracked black pepper
- vegetable cooking spray
- Smokehouse BBQ sauce (recipe follows)
- Prepare grill for high heat cooking.
- Season both sides of burgers liberally with salt and pepper.
- Preheat small saucepan and add one tbsp. extra virgin olive oil.
- Add shitake mushrooms to the pan and sauté for 15 minutes until softened and lightly browned.
- Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Grill burgers 7-10 minutes per side for medium rare.
- Toss shitake mushrooms in extra virgin olive oil and grill over direct hear until lightly browned.
- Remove from heat.
- Blend together the Mesculan, 1 tbsp. olive oil, Balsamic vinegar and salt and pepper to taste.
- Spread mustard evenly on bottom buns.
- Dip each burger in the smokehouse BBQ sauce and place on the bottom buns.
- Top each burger patty with an even portion of mushrooms, bacon, smoked blue cheese, and Mesculan salad.
- Dip top bun in BBQ sauce and serve immediately
- Clint Cantwell