Barbecue Lamb Shanks Print this recipe
Cook time: 1 1/4 hours Prep time: 12 hours
- ¾ teaspoon dried oregano
- ¾ teaspoon dried rosemary
- ¾ teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon paprika
- 1½ tablespoons salt
- 2 tablespoons dijon mustard
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 2¼ teaspoons garlic powder
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 3¾ teaspoons black pepper
- 4 lamb shanks
- In a food processor, combine the salt, paprika, black pepper, garlic powder, thyme, rosemary, oregano, and ginger. Pulse until the herbs are lightly ground. Add the olive oil, soy sauce, Dijon mustard, and lemon juice and blend until the mixture forms a paste.
- Hand trim any silver membrane or silver skin from the lamb shanks. Coat the shanks with the seasoning paste, place in a plastic storage bag, and refrigerate for 12 hours.
- Build a fire for indirect cooking by situating the coals on only one side of the grill, leaving the other side void. When the cooker reaches 250 F, place the lamb shanks on the void section of the grill. Cook for 1 hour and 15 minutes, or until the internal temperature of the lamb reaches 125 F or rare, 135 F for medium-rare, or 145 F for medium. Let the lamb rest for at least 15 minutes before serving.