Barbecue Bacon Wrapped Shrimp with Basil Stuffing Print this recipe
Cook time: 17 minutes
- ¼ cup applesauce
- ¼ cup pure maple syrup
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 1¼ cups barbecue sauce, bottled or homemade
- 1 teaspoon fresh minced garlic
- 15 thin bacon slices, cut in half
- 2 tablespoons freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- 30 basil leaves, coarsely chopped
- 30 large shrimp (21-25 count per pound), peeled with tail shells on
- Parmesan cheese
- Mix together the basil, cheese and garlic. Cut deep down the back of each shrimp and remove the vein. Fill the cut with ½ teaspoon of the basil stuffing. Wrap each shrimp with ½ slice of bacon and tuck the loose end or secure the bacon with a toothpick, leaving only the shrimp tail exposed.
- Build a fire (wood or a combination or charcoal and wood) for indirect cooking situating the coals on only one side of the grill, leaving the other side void. When the grill temperature reaches 400 F, place the shrimp on the grill away from the coals and with the tails pointing up. Close the lid and cook the shrimp for 14 minutes. Drain the shrimp on a paper towel lined platter.
- Stir the sauce ingredients together in a small bowl. Holding the shrimp by the tail, dip each into the sauce, and return it to the grill away from the coals. Close the cooker lid and allow the sauce to caramelize (about 3 minutes). Serve hot.