Loaf-Pan Chicken Print this recipe
6 to 8 servings
Cook time: 2 1/2 hours Prep time: 10 minutes
- ¼ teaspoon ground coriander
- ¼ teaspoon ground cumin
- ¾ teaspoon celery salt
- ¾ teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon turbinado sugar
- 1½ teaspoons black pepper
- 1½ teaspoons garlic salt
- 2¼ teaspoons paprika
- ¾ cup apple sauce
- 1 whole chicken (3½ pounds)
- 3 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- In a small bowl, stir together the applesauce and Worcestershire. Holding the chicken over a 9 x 5 x 3-inch loaf pan, pour the mixture over the chicken, making sure the chicken is thoroughly coated both inside and out. Let the excess liquid drip into the loaf pan.
- In another small bowl, combine the dry rub ingredients and mix well. Coat the entire chicken, both inside and out, with the dry rub. Place the chicken into the loaf pan, breast side up.
- When the grill temperature reaches approximately 300 F, place the loaf pan on the grill grate away from the coals, close the cover, and cook for 2 hours, or until the internal temperature of the chicken thigh reaches 175 F. Let the chicken cool a bit in the pan before cutting into serving pieces.