Grilled Salad with Tomato-Basil Vinaigrette Print this recipe
Cook time: 15 minutes Prep time: 10 minutes
- ½ teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1 teaspoon fresh ground pepper
- 1 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 medium red bell pepper
- 1 medium vine ripe tomato
- 1/2 cup fresh basil, chopped
- 1/3 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 4 garlic cloves, roasted
- 1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 3 heads baby romaine, leaves separated, stalk discarded
- 3 ounces Reggiano cheese
- 4 ripe avocados, peeled, pitted and quartered
- 6 medium spring onions, stalks removed and white part halved
- fresh ground pepper
- sea salt
- Preheat the grill using Kingsford® charcoal, until the briquets are consistently ashed over.
- Rub tomato and red bell pepper with a little olive oil and place over hot coals and grill until charred on all sides. Remove to cutting board to cool.
- Peel and seed cooled red bell pepper and place with tomato in food processor. Add remaining vinaigrette ingredients. Pulse processor while drizzling in 1/3 cup olive oil until blended (should be a little chunky). Adjust seasoning, remove to container and chill until ready to serve (can be done one day ahead).
- In a mixing bowl, lightly toss spring onions, avocados and baby romaine with olive oil, pepper and salt. Place over hot coals and cook until lightly charred on both sides. Remove and arrange on platter.
- Shave parmesan over vegetables. Drizzle smoked vinaigrette over grilled salad and serve.
- Recipe created by Chef Richard Chamberlain of Chamberlain’s Steak and Chop House in Dallas on behalf of the Walmart Choice Steak Challenge presented by Kingsford® charcoal and Coca-Cola©.