Grilled Mushroom and Leek Ragu with Fingerling Potatoes Print this recipe
Cook time: 20 minutes Prep time: 20 minutes
- 1 pound plus 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ cup shallots minced
- 2 tablespoons chicken stock
- 2 cups water
- 3 cups mixed mushrooms
- 3 tablespoons garlic
- 4 cups leek tops thinly sliced
- 4 cups fingerling potatoes
- 5 tablespoons olive oil
- Place a cast iron skillet over direct heat on the grill with oil and 1 tablespoon of butter. Once butter begins to foam add in fingerlings, mushrooms and leeks, toss. Season with salt, pepper, minced garlic and minced shallot. Add chicken stock and 1 tablespoon butter. Bring to a simmer before serving.
- Cool fingerling potatoes and split in half. Brush fingerling potatoes with olive oil, season with salt and pepper. Place fingerling potatoes on hot grill, grill 5-7minutes or until they have grill marks.
- Blanch fingerling potatoes. To blanch potatoes, place potatoes in boiling, unsalted water for 5 minutes. Remove potatoes from boiling water and chill them in ice water for 5 minutes. Drain well.
- Place water and one pound of butter in a small sauce pan and bring to simmer. Add leeks and braise until tender, approximately 3-5 minutes. Strain the leeks, reserving the butter and water. Allow leeks to cool before refrigerating.
- Preheat the grill using Kingsford® charcoal, until briquets are consistently ashed over.
- Rinse mushrooms and discard any unwanted parts. Cook mushrooms in a single layer on grill until tender and caramelized, approximately 5-7 minutes. Remove mushrooms from grill and place on sheet tray with paper towel for draining, set aside.
- Recipe created by Chef Bryan Caswell of REEF Restaurant in Houston on behalf of the Walmart Choice Steak Challenge presented by Kingsford® charcoal and Coca-Cola©.