Grilled Beefsteak Tomato with Himalayan Pink Rock Salt Crust Print this recipe
Cook time: 12 minutes Prep time: 2 1/4 hours
- 4 large vine ripe tomatoes, preferably large beefsteak
- 4 ounces Himalayan pink rock salt, or rock sea salt
- 4 ounces olive oil
- Trim off top and bottom of tomato to remove core for grilling.
- Rub each tomato with 1 ounce oil and 1 ounce salt. Let stand in refrigerator for at least 2 hours.
- Preheat the grill using Kingsford® charcoal, until briquets are consistently ashed over.
- Find hot spot and grill tomato until it starts to blister on top and bottom, about 4 min. Move to medium heat and cook until tender to touch (not mushy and collapsing), about 8 minutes.
- Recipe created by Chef Eric Lackey of Flamestone American Grill in Oldsmar, Fla. on behalf of the Walmart Choice Steak Challenge presented by Kingsford® charcoal and Coca-Cola©.