Southern Express Burger Print this recipe
- 1 1/2 pound ground beef (preferably 80/20 meat to fat ratio)
- 2 poblano chiles
- 2 tablespoon olive oil
- 3 tablespoon unsalted butter, room temperature
- 4 brioche buns, split
- 4 plum tomatoes, sliced
- 4 slices pepper jack cheese
- Sea salt and course ground pepper
- Prepare the grill for two zone cooking. Once heated, grill the poblano, turning periodically until nicely charred. Remove and place in a paper bag or in a bowl covered with plastic wrap for approximately 10 minutes. Remove skin, roughly chop and set aside.
- To prepare the fire roasted tomatoes, toss sliced tomatoes in olive oil, season with salt and pepper, and place on a twice folded sheet of aluminum foil on the cook portion of the grill. Allow to cook approximately 45 minutes until tomatoes begin to shrivel. Remove and set aside.
- As the tomatoes roast, divide ground beef in to four equal portions and form in to patties making an indention in the center with your thumb to maintain an even thickness as they begin to bulge as they cook. Season liberally with salt and pepper on both sides. Grill 5-6 minutes per side for medium-rare, top with poblano slices, 2-3 slices fire roasted tomatoes, and one slice of cheese and move to cool side of the grill. Leave grill covered approximately 3 minutes until cheese is slightly melted. Remove burgers from the grill and allow to rest on a platter while toasting the buns on the grill. Butter both sides of the bun, top with the burgers and serve.
- Recipe by Clint Cantwell