Grilled Chesapeake Crab Cakes Print this recipe
- 1 egg beaten
- 1 lb jumbo lump crab meat
- 1 teaspoon dry mustard
- 2 cups unseasoned breadcrumbs
- 2 teaspoon lemon pepper seasoning
- 2 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 3 scallions finely sliced
- 3 tablespoon mayonnaise
- 4 slices white bread, crusts removed and sliced in to ¼ inch pieces
- Juice of ½ lemon
- ½ cup diced red bell pepper
- Blend first 10 ingredients together, adding more bread cubes if mixture is too moist. Shape mixture in to 1 ½ inch patties (approximately 4 ounces each). Once crab cakes have been formed, spread breadcrumbs on a large platter and roll crab cakes in breadcrumbs until fully coated. Place crab cakes on a plate, cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate for an hour or longer to firm up.
- Heat grill to medium and oil grates well. Once grill comes to temperature, gently place crab cakes on grates and cover grill. Leave untouched for 4-5 minutes until crab cakes have begun to firm up. If you’re looking for those perfect crosshatch grill marks you can gently rotate the patties a quarter turn, otherwise continue grilling 3 more minutes. Flip and allow crab cake to grill approximately 8 minutes until firm to the touch. Remove, plate and top with your favorite seafood sauce such as a roasted red pepper aioli.
- Recipe by Clint Cantwell