Grilled Caramel Pecan Pie Print this recipe
8 pies servings
Cook time: 6 minutes Prep time: 45 minutes
- 1 cup butter (2 sticks)
- 1/2 cup cold water
- 1/2 cup flour for rolling out dough
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 1/2 cups flour
- 1 egg lightly beaten
- 1 1/2 tablespoons butter
- 1/2 cup pecan pieces
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup dark corn syrup
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 8 store bought caramels cut in half
- Sprinkle countertop or cutting board generously with flour. Remove dough from the refrigerator and place onto the floured prep area, roll out to a thickness of 1/8 inch. Cut the dough into 5-inch to 6-inch diameter circles. Removing extra dough from the prep area to reroll and make more pie shells. Immediately peal, lift and flip the dough circles making sure they don’t stick. Yield should be 8 pie shells.
- Preheat the grill using Kingsford® charcoal, until the internal temperature reaches 400 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Place 2 caramel halves and 1 tablespoon of pecans onto the center of each dough circle.
- Combine corn syrup, sugar, butter, vanilla extract and salt in a small saucepan over low heat. Mix until the ingredients are combined. Remove from the heat and stir in the egg once the mixture has cooled. Chill the filling for 15 minutes or until it has thickened slightly. Add 4 teaspoons of the cold filling mixture over the caramels and pecans onto the center of each dough circle.
- Lightly moisten the edges of the dough with water. Fold the dough in half creating a half moon with peach filling. Gently press the pie edges together and crimp them with a fork.
- Prep the charcoal grill grate by using a grill brush and to brush on a light coat of oil. Transfer the pies to the grill and cook over direct heat, uncovered, for 3 minutes on each side or until the dough turns a crispy golden brown. Remove from the grill and serve.
- Pitmaster Note: Take one of the South’s richest culinary traditions from the oven to the grill for more flavor. Pecans, caramel and filling are nestled in a half-moon pouch of dough and grilled directly over hot coals to form a crisp shell with a rich gooey center.
- Recipe created by world champion pitmaster, Chris Lilly on behalf of Kingsford® charcoal.
- Cut butter into 1/2 inch cubes and refrigerate. Measure the water and refrigerate. In a small mixing bowl add flour and salt and mix well. Add in the cold butter until the mixture resembles coarse bread crumbs. Slowly add water, mixing continuously, until a dough ball is formed. Seal the dough ball in GLAD® ClingWrap and place in the refrigerator overnight.