Old-Fashioned Grilled Peach Pie Print this recipe
Cook time: 10 minutes Prep time: 45 minutes
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 tablespoon orange juice
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 2 pounds ripe peaches (3 large or 4 medium)
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 6 tablespoons light brown sugar
- 1/16 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/2 cup cold water
- 1/2 cup flour for rolling out dough
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 1/2 cups flour
- 2 sticks butter
- Place 2 heaping tablespoons of peach filling onto the center of each circle of dough. Lightly moisten the edges of the dough with water. Fold the dough in half creating a half moon with peach filling. Gently press the pie edges together and crimp them with a fork.
- Prep the charcoal grill grate by using a grill brush and to brush on a light coat of oil. Transfer the pies to the grill and cook over direct heat, uncovered, for 3 minutes on each side or until the dough turns a crispy golden brown. Remove from the grill and serve.
- Pitmaster Note: In the South, mouths drool whenever fried pies are mentioned. Traditionally they are fried in a pan with butter until crisp and brown. To heat things up, I have taken the this traditional dessert to the backyard barbecue. By grilling the peaches prior to making the filling and then crisping the dough pocket over hot charcoal, you can make this Southern dessert a coal-fired masterpiece.
- Recipe created by world champion pitmaster, Chris Lilly on behalf of Kingsford® charcoal.
- Cut butter into 1/2 inch cubes and refrigerate. Measure the water and refrigerate. In a small mixing bowl add flour and salt and mix well. Add in the cold butter until the mixture resembles coarse bread crumbs. Slowly add water, mixing continuously, until a dough ball is formed. Seal the dough ball in GLAD® ClingWrap and place in the refrigerator overnight.
- Sprinkle countertop or cutting board generously with flour. Remove dough from the refrigerator and place onto the floured prep area, roll out to a thickness of 1/8 inch. Cut the dough into 5-inch to 6-inch diameter circles. Removing extra dough from the prep area to re-roll and make more pie shells. Immediately peal, lift and flip the dough circles making sure they don’t stick. Yield should be 8 pie shells.
- Preheat the grill using Kingsford® charcoal, until the internal temperature reaches 400 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Remove the pit from the peaches and cut each peach into 8 wedges and remove skin. Generously coat the peach wedges with the sugar rub mix. Immediately place the peaches on the grill grate for 2 minutes on each side, or until they caramelize. Remove the peaches from the grill and dice them into 1/2 inch pieces. Place the peaches and butter into a medium mixing bowl. When the butter melts, add the brown sugar and flour and mix well. Stir in orange juice.
- In a small bowl add the sugar rub ingredients and mix well.