Ultimate Barbecued Brisket Manhattan Print this recipe
- 1/2 ounces Carpano Antica vermouth
- 2 ounces barbecued brisket-infused Four Roses Bourbon* (instructions below)
- 3 ounces barbecued beef brisket drippings
- 3 cups cherries
- 3 dashes Bittermens Mole bitters
- While cooking brisket low and slow over Kingsford® charcoal, reserve 1.5 to 3 ounces of rendered fat and let cool.
- Pour 750 milliliters of Four Roses Bourbon into a non-porous container. Strain the brisket fat into the container using a cheesecloth or coffee filter and infuse for 4 to 6 hours at room temperature. Then, place mixture in freezer until all the fat is solidified. With a slotted spoon, remove fat. Then, pass brisket-infused bourbon through cheesecloth or coffee filter again to remove additional sediment, capturing all the liquid. Return liquid to the Four Roses Bourbon bottle via funnel.
- While the bourbon is infusing, build a fire using Kingsford® charcoal for indirect cooking. To do this, build a two-zone fire by situating the coals on only one side of the grill, leaving the other side void.
- To create smoked cherries, place cherries on a sheet pan in a single layer. Place pan on the void side of the grill with the lid covered for at least 45 minutes, making sure to keep grill temperature at 225°F. For tips on controlling grill temperatures visit grilling.com.
- To create the Ultimate Barbecued Brisket Manhattan, combine two ounces of Four Roses brisket-infused bourbon, vermouth and bitters into shaker or mixing glass with ice. Stir well and strain into cocktail glass. Garnish with desired amount of smoked cherries.
- * Four Roses Yellow Label 80 Proof, Four Roses Single Barrel 100 Proof or Four Roses Small Batch 90 Proof
- * Mixologist Note: When grilling brisket low and slow, use the drippings to make this delicious ‘cued cocktail. Try world champion pitmaster Chris Lilly’s, recipe for Barbecue Beef Brisket available at grilling.com.
- Recipe created by Josh Perry, Picán restaurant (Oakland, Calif.) mixologist, on behalf of Kingsford® charcoal