Grilled Sausage & Pepper Grand Slam Grinders Print this recipe
4 sandwiches servings
Cook time: 20 minutes Prep time: 10 minutes
- 1 15-ounce can of tomato sauce
- 1 pound sweet Italian sausage
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 1 yellow onion, cut into wedges
- 1/4 cup basil, freshly chopped
- 3 medium bell peppers, assorted (red, green and yellow)
- 4 medium grinder or hero rolls, split lengthwise
- 4 ounces mozzarella cheese, sliced
- Preheat the grill using Kingsford® charcoal.
- Arrange the peppers over the flame and grill for 5 to 7 minutes on each side, until peppers are blackened and blistered. Remove the peppers and place into a paper bag to cool. Once the peppers have cooled, peel the skin off.
- Grill the sausage and onions for 5 to 7 minutes on each side and remove from the grill.
- In a large heat-proof pan, add sausage, pepper and onions and combine with tomato sauce and oregano. Place pan over the grill and stir until blended and contents are heated throughout.
- Toast the rolls for two to 3 minutes on the charcoal grill. Once the bread is crisp with grill marks, spoon the sausage and peppers over each roll. Top with cheese and basil.
- Recipe created by football analyst, Mike Golic, on behalf of Kingsford® charcoal.