Cued Country Beet Salad Print this recipe
Cook time: 15 minutes Prep time: 10 minutes
- 1½ teaspoons kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon freshly chopped thyme leaves
- ½ cup extra virgin olive oil
- ½ large ruby red grapefruit juiced, (or ¾ cup ruby red grapefruit juice)
- ¼ teaspoon cracked black pepper
- 3 tablespoons freshly chopped basil leaves
- ½ pound French green beans
- 2 cups water
- 2 ounces farm goat cheese
- 20 small pearl red onions
- 6 medium golden beets
- Preheat the grill using Kingsford® charcoal.
- In a small bowl, whisk the grapefruit juice and olive oil together with the basil, thyme, salt and pepper until emulsified.
- Then, bring a 2-quart saucepan filled with three inches of cold water to a boil. Once the water is boiling, add the green beans to the pan and cook for 1 to 2 minutes, or until bright green. Drain the beans and place in a large bowl, filled with ice and water. Once cooled, remove the beans to a paper towel to drain.
- Place the onions in vegetable grill pan and grill over direct heat for 3 to 4 minutes. Remove from the grill and let cool.
- Grill the beets for about 5 to 7 minutes over medium heat, or until they have softened a bit and have grill marks. Then, remove the beets and place them into a large bowl. Once cool, cut the beets in half.
- Combine the beans, onions, beets and goat cheese in a large bowl, and toss with enough vinaigrette to lightly coat. Chill covered for 30 minutes or until ready to serve.
- Recipe created by Southern Ground Executive Chef Rusty Hamlin on behalf of Kingsford® Charcoal and inspired by the Zac Brown Band 2011 concert tour.
- Southern Ground Executive Chef Rusty Hamlin