Southern Style Stuffed Peppers Print this recipe
- 1 15-ounce can black beans, drained
- 1 cup fresh cilantro leaves, lightly packed
- 1 cup fresh corn kernels
- 1 pinch salt, to taste
- 1 pound chorizo sausage, casings removed and crumbled
- 1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1/4 cup chipotle in adobo, both pepper and sauce, pureed
- 12 ounces queso fresco, crumbled
- 3 limes, juiced
- 3/4 cup mayonnaise
- 6 Anaheim peppers, split once lengthwise and seeds removed
- In a small saucepan, over a medium heat add the oil and cilantro. Bring the oil just to a boil, then reduce the heat and cook the cilantro for 4 to 5 minutes. Remove the pan from the heat and set aside to cool.
- Once cool, puree the cilantro mixture together with the lime juice in a food processor or blender.
- In a small bowl, add the chipotle and mayonnaise and stir until well blended. Chill covered until ready to use.
- In a large saucepan, cook the chorizo over medium heat, stirring often. Once the chorizo is lightly browned add the corn, beans, queso fresco and salt, stirring until well blended.
- Preheat the grill using Kingsford® charcoal.
- Spoon the chorizo mixture into each of the peppers and close with a skewer if needed. Then, grill the peppers for about 5 to 7 minutes on each side over medium heat, or until the skins have blistered and the cheese is golden.
- Remove the peppers to a serving plate.
- Drizzle the peppers liberally with the cilantro oil and chipotle mayo, serve immediately.
- Recipe created by Southern Ground Executive Chef Rusty Hamlin on behalf of Kingsford® Charcoal and inspired by the Zac Brown Band 2011 concert tour.
- Southern Ground Executive Chef Rusty Hamlin