Grilled Ratatouille Print this recipe
Cook time: 1 hour Prep time: 30 minutes
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 can (15 ounces) of cannelloni beans
- 1 cup tomato juice
- 1 pound Italian sausage
- 1 sprig rosemary
- 2 large green bell peppers
- 2 medium onions sliced ½-inch thick
- 2 sprigs thyme
- 2 yellow bell peppers
- 2 zucchini cut in ½-inch pieces
- 3 plum tomatoes diced
- 3 yellow squash cut in ½-inch pieces
- 4 cloves crushed garlic
- Black Pepper
- Olive oil
- ½ eggplant cut into ½-inch pieces
- Build a two-zone fire with Kingsford® charcoal by situating the coals on only one side of the grill, leaving the other side void. Place the Italian sausage over direct heat and grill for four minutes on each side. Remove the sausage from the grill and set aside to rest.
- Lightly drizzle olive oil over each batch of vegetables and season with salt and pepper. Grill each batch of vegetables over direct heat in a grill basket stirring every two minutes until they soften and brown. Pour each batch of vegetables into a 9x13-inch baking dish as they are removed from the grill.
- Dice the Italian sausage into ¼-inch pieces and add to the baking dish. Drain the can of cannelloni beans and stir into the baking dish. Add the garlic, thyme, rosemary, bay leaf and tomato juice.
- Place the baking dish over indirect heat, close the grill lid, and cook uncovered at 300˚F for 35 minutes. Remove the baking dish from the grill and pour the vegetables into a colander reserving the juice. Pour the juice back into the baking dish and reduce by half over the hot coals or until the sauce thickens. Add the vegetables back into the baking dish and stir coating with the reduced sauce. Season with salt and pepper and serve.
- Recipe created by world champion pitmaster, Chris Lilly, on behalf of Kingsford® charcoal
- Chris Lilly