Tuscan Olive Oil Basted Swordfish with Grilled Peppers and Olives Print this recipe
Cook time: 10 minutes Prep time: 5 minutes
- 1 cup pitted Sicilian-style or ripe green olives, cut into quarters
- 2 red bell peppers, seeded, deribbed, and each cut lengthwise into 6 strips
- 2 yellow bell peppers, seeded, deribbed, and each cut lengthwise into 6 strips
- 4 swordfish fillets (about 6 to 7 ounces each)*
- Extra-virgin Tuscan olive oil
- Freshly ground pepper
- Kosher or sea salt
- Vegetable oil for brushing grill
- Light grill using Kingsford® Charcoal with Sure Fire Grooves®.
- Arrange fillets on a rimmed baking sheet and rub generously with olive oil. Sprinkle lightly with salt and pepper on all sides; set aside. In a medium bowl, toss peppers with olive oil to coat; set aside.
- When ready to grill, arrange peppers over the medium-hot heat and cook until light grill marks appear, about 2 minutes per side. Transfer to a warm platter or rimmed baking sheet; keep warm.
- Brush the grill grate with oil. Arrange the swordfish fillets on the grill and cook on each side until grill marks appear, about 3 minutes per side. Baste fish frequently. Grill until almost opaque throughout, but still very moist, or an instant-read thermometer inserted in the center registers between 125° and 130°F.
- Remove from grill. To serve, arrange a mixture of peppers on each warmed dinner plate. Place a fillet on top, and top with olives. Serve immediately, with a drizzle of Tuscan olive oil, if desired.
- *This recipe is adaptable to grilling flank steak instead of swordfish. Follow the preparation directions above substituting a flank steak (1 to 1¼-pound) for the swordfish fillets.
- Spread the coals, banking them with a thick (hot) layer on one side, and a thin (cooler) layer on the other. Grill peppers as directed.
- Brush the grill grate with oil.
- Grill flank steak, on each side until grill marks appear, 3 to 4 minutes per side. Slide steaks to the cooler part of the grill, close lid, and grill until medium-rare, or an instant-read thermometer inserted in the center registers 125°F.
- Transfer to a carving board, tent with foil, and allow to rest for 5 minutes. Slice across the grain into thin strips. Arrange a mixture of yellow and red peppers on each warmed dinner plate. Serve as directed.