Spicy SoCal Coleslaw Print this recipe
Cook time: 10 minutes Prep time: 20 minutes
- 1 medium head green cabbage, shredded (2 quarts)
- 1 medium, red bell pepper
- 1¼ cups sugar
- 2 tablespoons mayonnaise
- 6 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 6 tablespoons prepared mustard
- ¼ cup ketchup
- ¼ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- ½ large white onion
- ½ stalk celery, shredded
- ½ tablespoon salt
- Preheat charcoal grill to 400°F. Remove top and seeds of red pepper and split along one side to butterfly it. Grill butterflied red pepper skin side down over direct heat for 2-4 minutes, remove from grill, let cool and cut into strips.
- Cut onion in half length-wise. Follow natural lines of onion to cut into 1/8-inch wedges. Using knife and spatula, push onions off of knife onto grill spreading to almost separate wedges and cook over direct heat for 2-4 minutes. Remove onions from grill using spatula and let cool.
- Combine cabbage and celery with grilled bell pepper and onion in a large bowl and set aside. In a small saucepan, combine sugar, vinegar, mustard, ketchup, salt and cayenne pepper. Bring to a boil, stirring constantly. In a medium bowl, combine sour cream and mayonnaise. Slowly whisk hot vinegar mixture into sour cream mixture until well blended. Pour liquid mixture over vegetable mixture in large bowl and stir. Chill and serve.
- Chris Lilly