Grilled Sweet & Spicy Pickles Print this recipe
3 pints servings
Cook time: 6 minutes Prep time: 30 minutes
- 1 cup sugar
- 1¼ cup water
- 1¼ cup white vinegar
- 2 tablespoons salt
- 1 medium yellow onion, peeled and cut into 8 wedges
- 10 small (Kirby or Persian*) cucumbers, about 4 to 5 inches each, cut in half lengthwise
- 3 cloves garlic, peeled and finely minced
- 3 teaspoons red pepper flakes
- 6 sprigs fresh dill
- Preheat the grill and build a charcoal fire for direct grilling.
- In a saucepan, combine the pickling liquid ingredients: vinegar, water, sugar and salt; and cook, stirring often, over medium heat for 5 minutes or until the sugar dissolves and the liquid is clear. Remove the liquid from the heat and let cool slightly.
- Wash cucumbers well with cold water. Trim the blossom ends and grill the cucumbers over direct heat for 3 to 5 minutes on each side or just long enough to mark each side.
- Grill the onions for 5 to 7 minutes on each side or until the onions have softened and are marked.
- Remove the cucumbers and onions from the grill and set aside to cool.
- Divide the cucumbers, onions, dill, garlic and pepper flakes evenly and place in three sterilized canning jars. Fill each jar to the top with the pickling liquid mixture and seal tightly. Cool to room temperature before refrigerating.
- *Pickling cucumbers found in most grocery stores
- Chris Lilly