Grilled Chicken and Tomato Salad with Balsamic Vinaigrette Print this recipe
Cook time: 10 minutes Prep time: 4 1/4 hours
- 1 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon white pepper
- 1¾ teaspoons salt
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- ¼ cup soy sauce
- ¾ cup Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tablespoon fresh basil, coarse chopped
- 1 yellow tomato, diced (1 cup)
- 3 plum tomatoes, diced (1½ cups)
- Salt and pepper
- ⅓ cup diced sweet onions (such as Vidalia)
- 1½ tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1½ teaspoons balsamic vinegar
- ½ teaspoon cider vinegar
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 4 thick slices mozzarella cheese
- Combine marinade ingredients and marinate chicken breasts in the mixture up to 12 hours.
- Dice tomatoes into medium size chunks and add to a small mixing bowl. Dice onions into medium size chunks and mix with tomatoes. Add coarse cut basil leaves to the mixture. Stir in salad dressing and add salt and fresh ground black pepper to taste.
- Build a charcoal fire for direct grilling. Remove chicken breasts from marinade and, with the heel of your hand, press firmly on the thickest part of each breast. This will make the chicken breasts the same thickness and ensure even cooking. Place chicken breasts on hot grate over direct heat for 5-6 minutes on each side. Remove chicken breasts from grill when golden brown and firm to the touch. The internal temperature of the chicken breasts should be 160°F.
- Move chicken breasts away from the direct fire and place a thick slice of mozzarella cheese on each one. When cheese starts to soften, remove chicken from grill.
- To serve, top the grilled chicken with a generous amount of tomato salad.
- Recipe created by Barbecue Expert Chris Lilly, on behalf of Kingsford® Charcoal.
- Chris Lilly