Rib-Eye Steak with Mushroom Cream Sauce Print this recipe
Cook time: 45 minutes Prep time: 10 minutes
- 2 16-ounce Walmart Choice ribeye steaks
- 2-1/2 tablespoons Montreal steak seasoning divided, plus more for garnish
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter divided
- 4 baby portabella mushrooms stems removed, cut into ¼-inch thick slices
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- Set up a two-zone fire for indirect grilling with Kingsford® charcoal by situating the charcoal on only one side of the grill, leaving the other side void.
- Dry the surface of the steaks thoroughly with paper towels. Rub 1 tablespoon of Montreal steak seasoning onto each steak, covering both sides.
- Melt 2 tablespoons of the butter in a cast iron skillet over indirect heat on the grill. Add sliced mushrooms and 1/2 teaspoon of Montreal steak seasoning and saute until mushrooms begin to brown and soften, about 3 minutes. Add cream, remaining Montreal steak seasoning and remaining butter to the pan. Bring to a simmer and cook for about 10 minutes, or until sauce thickens, stirring constantly. Remove pan from the grill, set aside and cover with foil.
- Place the steaks on the grill over indirect heat. Check internal temperature of steaks frequently, and rotate and flip steaks to insure they cook evenly. When steak reaches an internal temperature of 118°F remove from grill.
- Ten minutes before serving, place sauce pan on the grill to reheat, leaving the top off the grill. Place steaks on the direct heat side of the grill, and cook about 3–5 minutes per side. Remove steaks when they reach 130°F for medium rare and let rest at least 5 minutes.
- Slice steaks across the grain and spoon cream sauce over steak. Garnish with a pinch of Montreal steak seasoning and serve.
- Recipe created by Queology competition barbecue team for the One Bite Challenge category of the Kingsford® Invitational.