Campfire Taco Dogs
June 13, 2013
This weekend our oldest child heads out for his first Boy Scouts summer camp. Growing up, these outdoor camping adventures were highlights of my summer, combining various tests of outdoor skills as well as a whole lot of pure Boy Scout tradition.
In preparation for not only that trip but the countless campouts that will occur across the country during these summer months, here’s a crowd pleasing twist of two of my favorite dishes — tacos and hot dogs.
1 package all beef hot dogs
8 classic hot dog buns, lightly toasted
1 container of fresh pico de gallo
1/2 cup pineapple-peach salsa (or your favorite salsa)
Sour cream (I’ve recently discovered squeeze bottles of sour cream which are perfect for camping)
1 8oz bag of shredded mild cheddar cheese
2 1/2 cups crushed tortilla chips
1 jar pickled jalepeno slices
1) Locate firewood, assuming your campground is currently allowing open flames.
2) Prepare your campfire.
3) Find some long sticks.
4) Have a responsible party whittle a point at the tip of the long sticks.
5) Spear hotdogs on the sticks.
6) “Grill” hot dogs super hot and fast.
7) Don’t burn the hot dogs. If burnt, return to step 6.
8) Put hot dog on bun.
9) Add your favorite taco toppings.
10) Devour and prepare for some tasty bacon s’mores.
11) Sleep, rinse and repeat.
- Clint Cantwell, Editor of Grilling.com